Good as a snack or simple dessert.Based on a recipe by Kinny Newman.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 cup shortening
- 1/8 cup water
- 7/8 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 cup skim milk may need more
- 1/2 cup canned or cooked and mashed pumpkin
- confectioner's sugar
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl.
- Beat egg in another bowl. Mix in shortening, water, buttermilk and pumpkin.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and blend well.
- Heat griddle or frying pan to about 375°F. Coat with shortening.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto griddle.
- Turn pancakes after small bubbles appear and edges start to brown.
- Remove pancakes when they are golden brown.
- Serve with confectioner's sugar.