This is a classic recipe for a moist cake with tangy blueberries and a sweet, crunchy cinnamon-sugar crumb topping. This is a family recipe from Christiane Silla.
Servings: 9 servings
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup soft shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 cups blueberries 1 dry pint, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup soft margarine or butter
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Grease a 9" square baking pan.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer completely mix sugar, shortening, and egg.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift in baking powder, salt, and flour.
- Stir in blueberries just until combined.
- Turn batter into baking pan. Use a rubber spatula to distribute in an even layer.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine all topping ingredients until evenly mixed. Use fingers or a fork to completely and evenly cover top of cake batter.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes, until a sharp knife or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
In place of the shortening, softened salted butter may be substituted. In this case reduce salt to 1/4 teaspoon. This cake was usually served straight from the pan. It can't be flipped onto a cooling rack. Try lining pan with parchment paper and then greasing, and using paper to lift cake out after it is baked.