Shredded Beets with Baby Greens and Oranges
A pretty salad of beets and baby greens dressed with orange-mustard vinaigrette and topped with goat cheese and toasted walnuts.From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 215.
- 2 medium to large beets peeled
- 2 cups watercress, baby arugula or other baby greens
- 2 oranges sectioned
- 1/4 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt
- Fill 4-quart pot with water; boil. Shred beets using large shredding disk on food processor or grate with hand grater. Boil in water for 4 minutes. Drain in colander; rinse with cold water. Set aside to cool.
- Add all dressing ingredients in small bowl; whisk to combine.
- Just before serving, in separate bowls, toss beets and greens with a generous amount of vinaigrette. Divide greens among individual plates, top with shredded beets, then arrange orange sections and sprinkle on walnuts and goat cheese.