Pasta Salad with Chicken, Artichokes and Sun-Dried Tomato
From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 158.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound penne or spiral- shaped pasta approximately 4 cups when cooked
- 1/2 cup ready-to-eat sun dried tomatoes julienned
- olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts 2, butterflied
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups frozen quartered artichoke hearts (14 ounce canned if unavailable)
- 1 endive cored and cut into thin strips, or 1 cup micro greens or frisee
- ¼ cup Greek or French olives pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup lightly packed minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Use a 6-quart pot to boil water and cook pasta until al dente. Drain in colander; add splash of olive oil and stir to keep from sticking.
- If using dry sun-dried tomatoes, place in small bowl and cover with some boiling pasta water to rehydrate. After 10 - 15 minutes, when soft, julienne.
- If using frozen artichokes, cook according to package directions. Drain, pat dry and cool. If using canned artichokes, rinse well, pat dry.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat pan with olive oil. Place cutlets in pan, cook without moving, until lightly browned, about 3 - 5 minutes. Turn and cook until second side is lightly browned, and center is cooked, another 3 - 4 minutes. Remove to plate to cool; dice 1/2 inch.
- In large serving bowl, combine pasta, chicken, artichokes, endive or greens, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste. Toss with pasta salad.