Grilled Chicken Salad with Red and Yellow Peppers and Honey-Dijon Vinaigrette
This salad makes a great summer meal. The chicken needs to be marinated earlier in the day.From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 83.
Servings: 5 servings
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill, tarragon, chives, or thyme
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 head lettuce washed and dried
- 2 celery stalks peeled, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cored and cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow pepper cored and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup scallions 1" sliced on a diagonal
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 5 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- In a glass or ceramic dish, prepare marinade by combining lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh herbs.
- Remove tenderloin from chicken and reserve for another use. Pound or slice horizontally to an even thickness. Place in marinade, turning to coat chicken evenly. Marinate at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours in the refrigerator.
- While chicken is marinating prepare lettuce, vegetables, and vinaigrette.
- Preheat stove-top grill pan or outdoor grill. Remove chicken from marinade, season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill 4 to 6 minutes on each side, until grill marks form and chicken is just cooked, 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer. When cool enough to handle, thinly slice.
- Prepare vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in small bowl; whisk until creamy.
- When ready to serve, place lettuce on large serving platter, add just enough dressing to coat leaves. Top with celery, peppers, scallion, and sliced chicken. Drizzle additional dressing over the chicken and vegetables. Store any leftover dressing in the refrigerator.
Pairs well with Herbed New Pototo Salad. Vinaigrette takes 15 minutes to prepare. Cooking time does not include preparing the chicken.