Chicken Roasted with Mushrooms
An easy recipe for a small whole chicken stuffed with quartered mushrooms and lots of herbs.Based on a recipe by Florence Fabricant, The New York Times.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 1/2 pound whole chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces medium-size white cremini (baby bella), shiitake, oyster or morel mushrooms, or a mixture
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a roasting pan with foil for easy clean-up.
- Rub chicken with olive oil and season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Quarter mushrooms. If using shiitake mushrooms, remove stems. In a medium bowl combine mushrooms with garlic, parsley, and thyme; pack tightly into chicken cavity. Tuck wingtips behind chicken and tie legs together to secure stuffing. Place chicken on a rack in roasting pan and place in oven. Roast for an hour and 15 minutes. Use a thermometer to check for when done.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board. Pour all juices and browned bits into small saucepan, removing excess fat. To the saucepan add wine and mushroom mixture from chicken. Place saucepan on top of the stove and heat, scraping the bottom of the pan. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut chicken in pieces and arrange on a platter. Spoon mushroom mixture around chicken or pass separately in small bowl and serve.
Cooking time varies with weight of chicken. An 8 pound chick takes approximately 2 hours and its white meat will serve 6 people.