Mocha Cream Chocolate Roll
Making this phenomenal cake is not too difficult. A light, chocolate cake is baked in a rimmed baking pan and then rolled up while hot. Once cool, it is filled with coffee flavored whipped cream and glazed with melted semisweet chocolate.The cake for this recipe is based on a Jelly Roll cake from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, Golden Press, NY, 1983, p 244.
CHOCOLATE ROLL CAKE
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- confectioner's sugar
- 1 3/4 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine or butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk
CHOCOLATE ROLL CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line rimmed baking pan , 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch, with waxed paper and grease generously.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- To the large bowl of a stand mixer, add eggs. Beat at high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in granulated sugar. On low speed, beat in water and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture; beating just until smooth. Evenly distribute batter in prepared pan. Bake until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place paper towels that are slightly wider and longer than cake pan on a clean work surface and sprinkle generously with confectioner's sugar. When cake is done, immediately loosen from edges of pan, and invert on prepared paper towels. Carefully remove waxed-paper. Trim off edges, if necessary. While hot, carefully roll up cake together with towel from narrow end. Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes.
- Dissolve coffee in water and allow to cool. In bowl of stand-mixer combine whipping cream, cocoa, confectioner's sugar, and dissolved coffee. Beat at medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Place bowl of mixer over a pot of hot, not boiling, water, melt chocolate together with margarine or butter. Chocolate may be somewhat stiff. Beat in corn syrup and milk until smooth and cooled. Glaze will thicken as it cools.
FILLING AND GLAZING CAKE:
- Unroll cake and remove towel. Spread Mocha Cream evenly over cake. Roll up. Place on serving dish, seam side down. To protect serving plate from dripping glaze, line edges around cake with waxed-paper. Spread Chocolate Glaze while still warm over top and down sides of roll. Remove waxed-paper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Variations include substituting the mocha cream with whipped cream that has been flavored with cocoa and hazelnut or coffee liqueur, or ice cream. This recipe can be used to make a Buche de Noel by dusting with some cocoa, adding meringue mushrooms and other decorations.