Servings: 8 servings
- 8 large green or red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese plus an additional 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup uncooked long grain or brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup red wine optional
- 28 ounces canned unsalted crushed tomatoes with 1 cup reserved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking dish large enough to hold all the peppers.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Bring a 6-quart stock pot 2/3 full with water to a boil. Trim off tops of peppers and carefully remove seeds and pith. In 2 batches, par boil for 10 minutes. Use tongs to remove from pot; cool upside down on a large plate.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is transparent. Add meat, use a spoon to break it up and cook until no longer red. Drain and discard juices.
- Stir in rice and all remaining ingredients, except reserved cup of tomatoes. Spoon mixture into peppers. Place, top side up, in greased baking dish. Top each pepper with approximately 2 tablespoons of reserved crushed tomatoes and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered until peppers are tender, forty minutes. Serve while hot.
Red peppers will be sweeter than green ones. Serving suggestions include steamed corn and tossed salad. Stuffed peppers do not freeze well.