Sausage and Peppers
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic sliced
- 2 red peppers sliced 1/2" wide x 3" strips
- 2 green peppers sliced 1/2" wide x 3" strips
- 1 medium onion sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 pound sweet Italian pork or chicken sausage
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- pinch salt
- Spray a skillet, large enough to fit sausages in a single layer, with oil. Place sausages in skillet. Brown over medium-high heat, approximately 5 minutes, and turning often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Carefully add 1/2 cup water, cover, simmer 12 min or until an instant read thermometer inserted in center registers 160°F. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess grease. When slightly cooled, slice.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-quart pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, cook until brown then discard. Add sliced onions and peppers; cook 2 minutes, stirring. Stir in basil, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cover; cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in sliced sausage.
- If preparing ahead, reheat in oven at about 350° F.
Save time by cooking sausages and vegetables simultaneously in separate pots. A double batch takes 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve with rolls or Italian bread for a sandwich. To scale up for a large buffet that will serve 24, multiply ingredients by 4 but use only 1/3 cup olive oil, and substitute 2 yellow peppers for 2 of the red ones for additional color. Cook using an 8-quart stock pot.