Chicken or Veal Provençale
A very easy and excellent recipe combining tomatoes, mushrooms, and wine with chicken or veal. Serve with pasta or noodles and a green vegetable for a complete meal.Based on a recipe from The New York Times Cookbook, Craig Claiborne, 1961, Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, p 159.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or veal rib meat or scallopine up to 2 pounds of meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 ounces white mushrooms trimmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 16 ounces canned diced, unsalted tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
- Cut meat into thin even slices. Pound, if necessary, until until even. Evenly coat with flour.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add meat and brown on both sides, cooking until slightly underdone. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In remaining oil in skillet saute garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms release their liquid.
- Add tomatoes and liquid, wine, salt, and pepper. Simmer, reducing liquid somewhat, approximately 10 minutes.
- Return meat to pan, submerging in sauce, until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.