This recipe incorporates both fresh and ground ginger to create the right about of spiciness in this moist cake.
Servings: 9 servings
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Whipped Cream
- vanilla ice cream
- confectioner's sugar
- With oven rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 inch square cake pan.
- In large bowl of stand mixer, add baking soda to the boiling water. Stir in molasses, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- In a separate medium bowl combine flour, ground ginger, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves.
- To large mixing bowl with sugars, add eggs, oil, and grated ginger. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to bowl with mixer at low speed. Once incorporated; then beat at medium speed for 3 minutes, spraping sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Transfer batter to greased and floured pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream or simply dust with confectioner's sugar.