Potato - Leek Soup (Vichyssoise)
This classic French soup can be served warm or cold.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine
- 6 cups leeks approximately 4, white and tender green part, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion approximately 1 medium - large, thinly sliced
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth preheated in microwave
- 6 cups potatoes about 5 medium, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole milk preheated, if serving warm
- chopped fresh chives or scallions
- In a 6 quart stock pot over medium - high heat, melt butter. Add leeks and onion; cook until just beginning to brown. Add the potatoes, broth and salt. Bring to a boil then simmer twenty-five minutes, or until potatoes are very tender.
- Use blender or immersion blender to puree until completely smooth. Stir in milk, add additional salt to taste, heat or cool to desired temperature. Garnish with fresh chives or scallions and serve.
For a richer variation substitute cream for 1 cup of milk.