Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Based on a recipe by Cook's Illustrated, David Pazmino, November 2008.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes about 6 medium as even in width as possible, with ends trimmed, peeled, rinsed, and slice into 3/4 inch thick rounds
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; do not preheat. Line large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with canola oil.
- In large bowl combine oil, salt, and pepper. Add potatoes and toss until evenly coated. Arrange potatoes in single layer on baking sheet; cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in cold oven. Set oven to 425 degrees F, bake 20 - 25 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, carefully remove top layer of foil, return to oven and roast until bottom edges turn golden brown, 12 - 15 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, using tongs or metal spatula, flip potatoes over. Return to oven; roast until bottom edges of potatoes are golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven; let potatoes cool 5 - 10 minutes; transfer to platter and serve immediately.
Recipe also works without peeling potatoes, simply well before slicing. On Thanksgiving, 3 potatoes, or half recipe, is enough for 8 people along with other side dishes. Half recipe is 18 minutes prep.